The Architectural & Engineering Computer Aided Design Department at Austin Community College began in 1973 as the Drafting & Design Technology Department. In the early days of the department, the curriculum emphasized board drafting and hand drawing. As the design, manufacturing, and construction industries have changed, so has our pedagogical emphasis regarding technology.
In the mid-1980s, the department purchased its first computers and began to incorporate computer aided drafting into its coursework, culminating in its certification as Austin’s first Authorized AutoCAD Training Center in 1989.
With the incorporation of two dimensional computer drafting into the curriculum, the program’s name became the Engineering Design Graphics Department. In 2006, our department underwent another name change to become the Architectural & Engineering Computer Aided Design Department.
We now emphasize three dimensional modeling and design across the curriculum, requiring 3D modeling courses in all degree plans, reflecting the progression of current industry standards.
The A&E CAD department moved from its long-time home at the Northridge campus to its new location on the Highland campus in November of 2020. Our offices are located in the 2000 building, to the right of the Paseo entrance, in suite 2.1531.
For more information about the Highland campus, please visit ACC’s page here.
For more information about the Highland development project, please check out the master plan here.
Awards & Memberships
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Austin Community College Teaching Excellence Award
- Greater Austin Quality Council
- NISOD – National Institute of Staff and Organizational Development Excellence Awards
- Premier Autodesk Authorized Training Center since 1989
- American Institute of Building Design Associate Membership
- American Institute of Architects Registered Continuing Education Provider
- Cadence University Program